Friday, November 9, 2012

Sound Walk




I decided to blog about my neighborhood, which is hell’s kitchen and my trip to the local barber shop. The whole experience was like a piece of music in classical sonata form, which is introduction, exposition, recapitulation, and coda. It started off with an introduction of ambient sound with multiple layers of fading texture, as I exit the apartment and enter the streets. It is like a single unwavering chord played on the strings, which are staggered through out the piece. This ambient sound is like the sound of air traveling. It is the main melodic line. It is the melody of life. As I walk the streets, there are glimpse of low subtle sounds from miles away serving as harmonic accompaniments to the piece. It fades in and out like crescendos and diminuendos. It transitions like the progression of harmonic language. There are cars and foot steps permeating the overall piece like drones and harmony. The footsteps of New York citizens are like the percussions of the orchestra. The loud banging sounds of tires rolling over metal plates on the road resemble that of timpani drums being struck. The sounds of vehicles followed one and another like an endless fugue. It was voice imitation in the infinite. These different sounds of the city intermixed together creates the exposition. As I walk into the barbershop, I can hear all sorts of sound from machines and the television playing. I hear scissors and hair combs and water sprays. The sound of the heater also permeated the room. It was like multiple different accompaniments as well as melodies. There were also cars rolling by, but the volume was lowered, almost like fading, because of the door being shut. It served as more harmonic accompaniments. All the sounds of the city were like individual voices that came together in harmony. The melodies interweaves and compliments each other. It was counterpoint everywhere. It was like a baroque polyphony. The progression of such harmonic excellence made up the development of the piece. As I leave and head back towards my apartment, all the sounds return as it recapitulates. Finally when I reach my apartment, as it all ends, the sounds cadences and the door to my apartment opens and serves as a coda, before it all ends. Instead of it being me remaining still and listening to the music progress, it was like music remained still as I progressed through the music. It was like quantum entanglement. It is the symphony of life and the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment